The Environmental Issues Group (EIG) seeks to educate its members and the entire league, along with community leaders, and government officials on critical environmental issues affecting Palm Beach County. The group follows legislative bills affecting our environment and advocates for appropriate public policy to address concerns related to climate change including: Everglades Restoration, water quality and supply, renewable energy, plastics pollution, and sea level rise.
- Invite representatives of environmental agencies and organizations to share information at monthly meetings and participate in related conferences as well as field trips in order to inform ourselves on the issues so that we can disseminate the information we obtain.
- Participate in diverse community events with our exhibits to educate members of our communities.
- Keep up-to-date on state and local legislative efforts related to the environment and communicate our positions on bills, resolutions, and issues that affect our county, state, and country as individuals or as LWV members if requested to do so by our state or local league. Apprise the LWVPBC and the public on state or local legislative activities.
- Participate in the LWVFL Natural Resources Group call and collaborate as appropriate with other Florida League chapters and with environmental organizations to promote awareness and advocacy of the issues.
EIG Accomplishments: 2019-2020
- Major Events: Organized a Cool Topics panel presentation on climate change in collaboration with the City of Delray Beach to bring awareness and address the effects of sea level rise and climate change. This year’s annual event was entitled RISE: A Climate and Art Weekend.
- Activities: Participated with a table-set on the theme of “Alternatives to Single-Use Plastics” at the Palm Beach Atlantic University Earth Day Fair, the RISE event in Delray Beach, and the COBWRA Water Wise & Why Symposium; attended the 3-day 2019 Southeast Florida Regional Climate Leadership Summit, coordinated a field trip to the Tellus Corporation (biodegradable containers) & Everglades Agricultural Area, and participated in webinars conducted by the 1000 Friends of Florida on legislative and environmental issues.
- Advocacy: Requested and coordinated a recommendation from LWVPBC Board to include “Climate Emergency” in response to the LWV’s request for 2020-2022 program priorities that align with the LWV’s Making Democracy Work® initiative; provided legislative updates each month for EIG; met with Senator Lori Berman (Aide Abby Ross) on environmental issues; provided letter of support to Boca Raton City Council on its Florida Public Service resolution concerning energy efficiency; spearheaded the Climate Emergency Action Motion at the 2019 Biennial LWVFL Convention; and shared information, events and support with an informal group of mainly South Florida League environmentalists.
EIG Meetings are typically held the first Saturday of each month at various branch library locations or by ZOOM. Please confirm meeting date and location on the LWVPBC calendar.
Important Environmental Events
LWV EIG Events
04/03/2021 EIG Monthly Zoom Meeting @ 10:30 am. Check the League’s event calendar for details and registration information.
04/22/2021 Earth Day
04/24-25/2021 Virtual Earth Day by Young Leaguers
06/4 & 06/5/2021 LWVPBC Convention
Another Interesting Opportunity
LWVPBC partners with Solar United Neighbors – Palm Beach County Co-op, to host virtual solar co-op meetings (on Zoom). Join an information session online: March 16, 2021 and April 7, 2021 at 6:00 pm.
Register & More Information SolarUnitedNeighbors.org/PalmBeach/Events
Join the Co-op SolarUnitedNeighbors.org/PalmBeach
Links of Interest
Governmental Offices and Non-Profit Organizations
Governmental Offices – Palm Beach County
Palm Beach County Department of Environmental Resource Management
Palm Beach County Office of Resilience
Palm Beach County Soil and Water Conservation District
Palm Beach County Water Resources Task Force
Boca Raton Office of Sustainability
Boynton Beach Sustainability
Delray Beach Office of Sustainability and Resiliency
West Palm Beach Office of Sustainability
State and Regional Governmental Agencies
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
South Florida Water Management District
State of Florida Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection
Non-profit Environmental Groups
Florida Native Plants Society
Florida Conservation Voters
League of Environmental Educators in Florida (LEEF)
Sierra Club Loxahatchee Chapter
Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact
Coalition of Boynton West Residential Associations Water & Wetlands Committee
Jaqui Thurlow-Lippisch (SFWMD)
CURRENT EIG INITIATIVES AND ACTIVITIES
Prohibit single-use polystyrene foam cups and food containers (Styrofoam), plastic straws and utensils on city or county owned properties and facilities.
FAU Green Schools Recognition Program for 2020
Training and participation as judges to help determine which PBC schools will be recognized for their environmental stewardship and culture
Competed March 2020
Eco-Leader Decal Program
Rewards Program for eco-friendly businesses
EIG Observer Corps
Members attend local governmental meetings such as county commission meetings and/or local sustainability or resilience meetings and submit updates to keep EIG members informed on environmental-related action activities.
EIG Outreach Committee
Staff information table at local events to promote eco-friendly practices and inform/educate communities about alternatives to single-use plastics
EIG Website Enhancements
Addition of information on environmental events, activities/photos, and links for members to seek/learn about such activities.
Open Forum(s) on the environment for candidates for county/state legislative seats in PBC in the 2020 election
Plan and prepare to co-host an open forum on the environment for candidates for state legislative seats and selected county offices in the 2020 election
Power Point Presentation (PPT) on Climate Change in PBC
Develop a PPT on impacts of Climate Change in Palm Beach County
Future project – under discussion
Power Point Presentation (PPT) on single-use Plastics
Develop a PPT on reducing use of single-use plastics and adopting alternatives to single-use plastic products
Future project – under discussion
Power Point Presentation (PPT) on water issues in PBC
Develop a PPT on water-related issues in Palm Beach County
Future project – under discussion
Brochures on Florida Women Past & Present, Protectors of Our Environment
Development of topical brochures, likely electronic versions, that can be shared with other LWV FL chapters and used for educating citizenry. Collaboration with members of LWV Broward. This serves to celebrate the Centennial of the LWV and the 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
Completed and published 04/2020
Videos produced by “PROTECT YOUR WATER”
Click on the image below to play the video.