DISCLAIMER: The League of Women Voters of Palm Beach County asked the candidates to share information about themselves and their platform. These were their responses. These statements reflect the candidates’ views and not the views of the League of Women Voters. The league does not endorse candidates. We provide the public resources to make informed decisions.
Commission Group 1
I am Joesfa “Josie” Hernandez. I am a huge community activist in Pahokee. I am a candidate for Pahokee City commission group 1.
I believe it is time to bring UNITY in our Community with truth, honesty, and integrity.
I have worked on planning and zoning, I am on the neighborhood oversight panel, a school advisory chair, a 2020 census supervisor and a member of healthier Glades. I am an active member of my church, serve as a Hispanic behavioral health member and I’m currently employed by the Palm Beach County School Board where I enjoy working with our youth every day, they are our future and “we must” provide them with the essential tools necessary to be successful.
My goals for my City are:
- To promote efficient and effective city government to improve levels of service.
- Develop and maintain the public infrastructure to improve community appearance and encourage continued development.
- Promote resident health, safety and education
- Improve community involvement and trust
I am running so the residents of Pahokee can have a commissioner that will listen to them, serve them and work hard for them. That is pretty much who I am, “a listener who works hard every day.”
Commission Group 2
Juan "Johnny" Gonzalez
Hello. My name is Juan “ Johnny “ Gonzalez.
I’m running for city commissioner in Group 2 in the City of Pahokee.
I decided to run to help our city prosper and to help our citizens live a better life. To me, in order to change the direction of Pahokee’s future, I would have to do more than just vote. That would mean, I would have to take the initiative and run for commissioner to be part of the solution. I graduated Summa Cum Laude from my class and was an ambassador at Florida Technical College. I believe a person should always use their skills to help others.
My platform is to help build the City of Pahokee to its full potential. Here are some things I would like to start working on as a commissioner.
- Create economic security and development.
- Fix infrastructure. ( especially areas that are neglected ).
- Open a Veteran’s memorial park.
- Bring in developers to offer affordable housing with a pathway to ownership.
- Create a welcoming environment for citizens and visitors of Pahokee.
- Collaborate with the school district to offer activities for our youth.
- Offer educational opportunities for adults.
- Repair relations between residents and city officials.
Click the image to view full flyer.