DISCLAIMER: The League of Women Voters of Palm Beach County asked the candidates to share information about themselves and their platform. These were their responses. These statements reflect the candidates’ views and not the views of the League of Women Voters. The league does not endorse candidates. We provide the public resources to make informed decisions.
Kristine de Haseth - Incumbent
I have served on Ocean Ridge’s Town Commission for three years, the last year as Mayor. I have led the Town through the unprecedented time of the pandemic effectively with empathy- greatly appreciated by our residents and town staff. My strong relationships with neighboring towns enabled us to rapidly offer vaccination opportunities to residents.
I am fiscally responsible and have voted to keep our tax rate steady despite pressures from the pandemic. I am an advocate of strong reserves which have allowed us to maintain our high level of service. Every resident has a voice in our governance and I continually work with staff to enhance our communications.
I strongly support our police force and have consistently voted for tools to enhance our safety: Road & Beach vehicles, Body Cameras, License Plate Recognition Program, and a new Charter Amendment requiring a resident vote to any overall department changes.
Homes in Ocean Ridge are very desirable. I’ve led the charge reviewing codes to preserve the character of the Town and ensure long-term sustainability. I will continue to support maintaining size & height restrictions, encourage lush landscaping and enforce proper construction management. I am proactive on long-overdue infrastructure and maintenance issues and increased flooding and initiated a 5 year Capital Improvement Plan.
My family and I are very happy with the lifestyle we enjoy in Ocean Ridge, with our beautiful beaches and wonderful walking neighborhoods. I do not feel that the current administration is representative of the values we, as residents, have here in town. I believe in open and transparent government, which respects the voices of the residents while focusing on the major issues we are facing. My three main goals and areas of concern are as follows:
- Fiscal Responsibility – As a Town Commission, it is imperative that we avoid frivolous spending and cut where possible, without compromising neighborhood safety. Nearly 10% of our budgeted revenues for fiscal year 2021 are taken from our Reserve Fund, which is intended for emergencies only.
- Infrastructure Project Prioritization – Short-term and long-range planning is needed to address specific infrastructure necessities, especially drainage and flooding abatement.
- Private Property Liberties – Independent of the Town Code, as a Town Commissioner, I will work to ensure the protection of homeowners’ private property rights (use, improvement, and enjoyment).
If elected, I will never forget that I work for the residents of Ocean Ridge.
John Kramer, Jr.
I decided to run for Commissioner of Ocean Ridge to bring more transparency and financial rigor to decisions made by the town. My strong financial and planning background will help ensure Ocean Ridge remains fiscally conservative and avoids mill rate increases which particularly impact our retirees.
My campaign planks are as follows:
- This election is not a popularity contest, beautification project or to support a select few of the residents, but about who has the background, experience and acumen to help improve the town for all its residents.
- I will help Ocean Ridge prepare for the future which can be bright in today’s teleworking environment and save additional funds for unexpected events. We need to take action to secure our future now without adding to taxes.
- I support a full-time Ocean Ridge Police Department and will not vote for outsourcing their services. Having our own police force dramatically cuts response time and is a real-time crime deterrent,
- I will strive to ensure the residents of the Town of Ocean Ridge retain their privacy to the maximum extent possible and remain transparent on all issues.