League Policy: The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that voting is a fundamental citizen right that must be guaranteed.
Our coalition is made up of the Palm Beach County chapters of the League of Women Voters, National Council of Jewish Women, and American Civil Liberties Union.
The focus of the coalition is to:
- To assure voting rights for all Florida citizens;
- combat voter suppression in its many forms. We study redistricting and follow litigation, both national and in Florida. Gerrymandering of districts has made a joke of ‘one man, one vote’. Nationwide and in Florida, elected officials have drawn district lines to protect incumbents. These inequities are a major threat to our democracy;
- advocate for passage of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Since 1970, the League of Women Voters has believed the Electoral College is inequitable and undemocratic, and that it is inconsistent with the one-person, one-vote bedrock principle of our democracy. We are advocating for passage of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact: the only system that:
- makes all states competitive,
- makes every vote count,
- guarantees that the candidate with the most votes wins the election,
- pushes presidential candidates to adopt agendas that unite voters,
- would NOT require an amendment to the US Constitution.
- educate about the importance of judicial vacancies in Florida life;
- support and advocate for restoration of voting rights. There are 1.6 million Florida citizens of voting age who are forbidden to vote because of prior felony conviction. This disenfranchisement is a particular Florida shame; 25% of disfranchised citizens nationwide are in Florida. Click here to learn more…
- study and research issues, educate our members and the public, speak at meetings, and advocate to our legislators and the public. We believe study, education and advocacy are the ways to effect change in these turbulent times.
Nancy Cohen 561-842-2499, firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Geller-Schwartz 561-362-8069, email@example.com
Help Second Chances Florida!
Please help our 1.4 million disenfranchised Florida residents to regain their voting rights and help them become fully participating citizens.
Go to www.secondchancesfl.org for ways you can volunteer. You can make calls, text or canvass. Our Second Chances has all the information you need to get started including the lists of target voters and scripts.
Meetings: Come join us. The Voting Rights Coalition meets monthly on the first Thursday of the month at 2:00PM. We take a summer recess, there are no meetings June, July and August.
Meeting Location: Compass, Inc, 201 North Dixie Hwy, Lake Worth