Our non-partisan Voting Rights Coalition is dedicated to assuring voting rights for all Florida citizens and is guided by our League position:
The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that voting is a fundamental citizen right that must be guaranteed.
Our coalition is made up of the Palm Beach County chapters of
- League of Women Voters
- National Council of Jewish Women
- American Civil Liberties Union
The Voting Rights Coalition combats voter suppression in its many forms:
- Did you know 1.5 million Florida citizens of voting age are forbidden to vote because of prior felony conviction? This disfranchisement is a particular Florida shame: 25% of disfranchised citizens nationwide are in Florida. We support and advocate for restoration of voting rights. Click here to learn more: http://www.npr.org/2012/10/22/
163004803/for-many-florida-ex- cons-voting-booth-is-off- limits
- Gerrymandering of districts has made a joke of ‘one man, one vote’. Nationwide and in Florida elected officials have drawn district lines to protect incumbents. These inequities are a major threat to our democracy. We study redistricting and follow litigation, both national and in Florida.
- Online voter registration in Florida will increase voter participation, engage more young people, and reduce voter fraud.
- Today in Florida the most partisan voters nominate candidates, stifling compromise and good governance. Open primaries open up primaries to all voters and ensure better candidates. We are studying different systems nationwide.
We study and research issues, educate our members and the public, speak at meetings, and advocate to our legislators and the public. We believe study, education and advocacy are the ways to effect change in these rocky political times.
Come join us. We meet monthly at Compass, 201 North Dixie, Lake Worth. Upcoming meetings will be announced shortly.
The Voting Rights Coalition will meet on Thursdays, 2 pm at Compass, Inc, 201 North Dixie Hwy, Lake Worth: